Pages

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Kitchen Garden


Those of you who have been to my home know that I have a very large garden way in the back (on the back acreage as we fondly say around here). Our lot is very large for Tualatin and the very back of my yard is perfect for a garden. Lots of raised beds, fruit trees (that might produce if my husband would stop 'pruning' them), a great shed, and just lots of great soil. I love growing vegies. This year it's onions, potatoes, beets, lettuce, carrots, tons of tomatoes, peppers, spinach, peas, beans and corn. Taking care of my garden is a joy, even keeping the weeds down. The problem for years, though, is that often when I'm in the kitchen and want some herb for cooking, it never makes it to the cooking pot, because my garden is too far away. I didn't want to take the time to run out and get a few leaves of this or that to flavor what I'm cooking. So this year I finally did something about it. I made a kitchen garden right outside my front door. The place is perfect. It faces west so gets lots of sun. I used two large galvanized tubs filled with dirt. Best of all it's only 3 steps from my kitchen. Right now there is only herbs in one. I hope to grow, even through the winter, some things that will make it to my kitchen table.

No comments: